Friday, November 20, 2015

It’s been a fun week with hubby and his hunting partner coming into town to take me to dinner one evening and the quilt club’s annual party.  The weather has been near perfect and I’ve even managed to dig around in the flower beds.  …and since it’s my birthday month, I’ve had an excuse for some indulgences. 

Every so often Wanda will list items for sale in her blog shop, Wandaful Quilts.  I couldn’t resist picking up these cuts from her prodigious stash of batiks.
 
This little scissor case was a gift from a neighbor who recently returned from a long cruise with lots of at-sea days.  She filled the time doing needlepoint projects and thoughtfully let me choose one.  I added the lanyard and my favorite embroidery scissors.  They will come in handy when I meet with my applique group.  The picture also shows my current applique project.  It’s taking forever, but I did manage to prep some more petals on one of the stems. 


Lately I’ve been listening to The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown.  I’m half way through it and am really enjoying the story about nine American boys who competed in the 1936 Olympics.  I feel like I’m getting to know these young men personally and I had no idea how complicated rowing a boat competitively is.  The story line contains lots of technical details, and I think I’m enjoying it more as a “listen” than a “read.”  I am so grateful my local library offers this kind of service.

2 comments:

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

What pretty batiks you snagged. Yum! And I just love your current applique project - gorgeous!! Listening to an audiobook is usually more enjoyable as a "listen" rather than a "read". I'm going to add The Boys in the Boat to my list. I have to ask ... what is that black round thing next to your phone?

Debbie said...

Happy Birthday month.....you deserve a little celebrating.
You grabbed some of those batiks.....I knew I would regret not picking out some, but glad you got them.