Monday, January 1, 2018

A Finish as 2017 Ends

Happy New Year!  



I managed to wrap up 2017 with a finish.  This quilt project began with a February 2015 Bonnie Hunter workshop in San Antonio.   At 73 X 81 inches it’s the largest project I’ve quilted since converting my HQ 16 to a sit-down model.  It also took a lot longer than I thought it would, but it’s finally done.  It seems I keep making the same mistake time and again.  It would have been much easier to bind this quilt if I had not chosen to use a batik. The design is "Texas Tumbleweeds."



While the cutting table was still set up, I pin basted my scrappy bow tie quilt.  Hopefully, its smaller size will make quilting it less of a wrestling match.

The last night of 2017 brought snow flurries.  We did not get enough for a measurable accumulation, but for this part of the world, it was a noteworthy event.




We had a visitor just outside our back-yard fence recently.  The dogs never noticed her and she lingered for a while undisturbed.  We rarely see them this close.

7 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Congratulations on a finish of a large quilt. I know what you mean about the batik for binding. It seems it is always the ones I have decided to hand sew that I choose a batik. Some brands are easier than others to hand sew through.

Frog Quilter said...

Beautiful finishes. Congrats. Your colors are gorgeous!

Doniene said...

What a lovely finish, Mary! And your bow tie quilt will be fabulous! Happy 40th! And Happy New Year!

Debbie said...

The Tumbleweed quilt is spectacular! It may be large but you did it anyway! I am sad and glad to see the bow ties get their turn now. I so enjoy watching you accumulate the fabrics and develop the blocks. A great new year.

Quilting Babcia said...

Two beauties here, so very cheerful and full of color and movement. I love your bow tie setting.

O'Quilts said...

Good for you!!! Finishes...something I wonder if I can do this year maybe...
they are both lovely xo

AnnieO said...

Love the Texas Tumbleweeds pattern. Great finishes! Congratulations. 🎊🎈🎉🍾