Wednesday, November 15, 2017

A Little of This and That

Fifteen more anti-ouch pouches will be going with me to Guild meeting today. 

Although I failed to meet my goal of finishing the quilting on this project, I have made a good deal of progress and the end is finally in sight.

I used up my spool of bobbin thread and had to place a quick order for a replacement.  While I was at it, I also ordered a few more bobbins for my Handi Quilter.  The ones that came with it in 2008 did not have the hole to feed thread through while winding the bobbin, I’m hoping these will be easier to wind.

My project while sewing with my Tuesday friends was my hexagon quilt.  It continues to grow at a very slow pace, but it is growing, and I’m really enjoying it.

I couldn’t resist including these non-quilting related pictures. 

Butterflies have always fascinated me.  This one was not a cooperative model, but I finally managed to catch a shot when its wings were open.

And while walking earlier this week, I looked down and spotted this bluebonnet plant growing among the weeds.  If we continue to get a little rain through the next few months, we should have some pretty blooms around mid-April.

Sunday, October 29, 2017

A Little Applique

Our monthly applique group met Thursday and everyone enjoyed themselves, including the hostess (that would be me).  This is the project I worked on.

When I finished appliqueing the blooms and leaves on this piece in July 2016 I thought it would be finished, but soon came to realize it needed something else.  Hubby suggested butterflies, and I had to agree, especially as I’ve always been very fond of them.

I started collecting butterfly prints and recently took my collection to the Tuesday sewing group where we auditioned the choices.  This is the first broderie perse project I’ve tackled.

It can now take its place in the queue with the other ready-to-be quilted tops.

We ended up having a light freeze early Saturday morning followed by an absolutely lovely day.  I feel like autumn is finally here.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Those Long Term Projects

I’m at that in-between stage on my two primary projects where it’s difficult to report progress.  One quilt is under the needle on the quilter.  I have been dragging my feet on that project for a very long while, but my goal is to finish the quilting process in the next two weeks. 

My Edyta Sitar project continues to grow bit by bit. 

These are the only neutral hexies I have prepped; so, more basting is in my future....a lot more basting.

I did manage to complete 15 anti-ouch pouches and deliver them to the October guild meeting.  That pushes me over 100 in 2017, the goal I set for myself.

The weather has moderated to very pleasant temperatures and we may have our first freeze later this week.  Time to bring out the slow cooker and start making stews! 

Our bottle brush bushes which died back due to freezes last winter have recovered nicely and are blooming.

Sunday, October 8, 2017

It's Growing

My Edyta Sitar hexagon project is growing.  All the rosettes are attached and I’ve begun filling in with neutrals.  I’m running very low on prepared neutral hexies and will be cutting some more out this week. 

Soon I will have to make a decision about borders.  I know I want to add a few rows of neutral hexies to all edges, but I'm not sure where I want to go from there.

Saturday, October 7, 2017

An Emptied Project Box

My bow tie quilt is now a finished top and ready to be added to the to-be-quilted-queue.  It measures  approximately 56 ½ X 68 1/2 Inches and has 952 bow tie units that finish at 2 inches.  Fabrics came from my stash and the generosity of friends and I love its bright colors.  I also love the empty project box, something of a rarity here.

It was inspired by a quilt by Florence Edith Goggin that was published in the May 2000 issue of Quilters Newsletter magazine.   The original was pieced by hand, with no fabric repeats.  I tried to create as much fabric diversity as possible in my smaller version, but there are definitely numerous repeats.

It has lots of bright prints in it and it makes me happy to look at it.  When I had it on the ironing board, the sun shining through it reminded me of stained glass.

I have a friend in my Tuesday group who is also working on this project.  I’ll offer to let her have my cut out remnants and orphan pieces.

Acorns are good this year and we have a lot of these little critters visiting us.

Monday, September 25, 2017

Journal Cover

I received a fat quarter at a Guild meeting and was asked to create something with it that could be used in our quilt show boutique next February.  The fabric was so pretty I really didn’t want to cut it up.  I procrastinated several months because I could not decide what to do.  When the show chairman said they already had enough potholders, mug rugs, tissue holders and pin cushions, I decided I better get busy and make a decision before I ran out of options.   So, I decided to use Wanda's tutorial and make a journal cover.

A fat quarter is not wide enough to make the inside flaps as big as I wanted, so I had to piece it.  Fortunately, I was able to place the seam were the fabric turns on the back flap and it isn’t all that noticeable.  I like it, and if no one else buys it, I will.

Friday, September 22, 2017

A Workshop Finish

Tote Bag Front

Tote Bag Back

I signed up for a Guild workshop Wednesday and this is the result.  I still had some work to do on it when we had to vacate the room we were using. Fortunately, I was able to push through Wednesday night and finish it Thursday morning.  I definitely did not want another workshop UFO.  The bag was made using a charm pack and accent fabrics for the lining and straps. 

I also delivered nine more anti-ouch pouches to the Guild and picked up some more kits to work on before our next meeting.
Now, back to the never-ending bow tie and hexagon projects…..