Tuesday, May 30, 2017

The Village is Built

I was determined that the project from last week’s workshop with Flavin Glover would not join the host of other UFOs tucked away in my stash closet.  I finished the binding today while sewing with my Tuesday quilting buddies.  It’s been a while since I had a finish.  

I’ve also added another rosette to the collection for my Edyta Sitar project, and I’ve been processing gifted scraps which will become bow tie block units.

One day soon I will stop and count the batches in my basket to get an idea of how many more I need to make.

Tuesday, May 23, 2017

Building a Village

Last week I had the joy of attending a workshop led by Flavin Glover from Auburn, Alabama.  We learned her technique of creating houses based on log cabin blocks.  At the end of the workshop she had us bring all our blocks to the front so we could see the village we had created.

I am continuing to build my wall quilt using a fabric line that looks like aged muslin.

Sew 30 minutes a day - Challenge

So far I’m keeping up with Annie’s Sew30SewFUN challenge, and it’s paying off.  I feel like I’m hitting a rhythm again and really enjoying the process.  The new project and more relaxed pace of life the last two weeks has helped too.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Tuesday Stitching

I joined my Tuesday sewing friends for about three hours, before a sinking spell, a residual of the cold I’ve been fighting, sent me packing.  It’s trying to morph into bronchitis and I didn’t want to push too hard.  I have Guild meeting today and a workshop on tomorrow and want to be able to enjoy both.  My machine work was, of course, bow tie units.  My vintage Singer 404 lives at the Club House and I really enjoy using it for regular piecing.

I also have two more rosettes done for my Edyta Sitar project.  

Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Still Plugging Along

I’m still keeping up with Annie's Sew30SewFUN challenge.  

Sew 30 minutes a day - Challenge

In fact, despite a lack of interesting pictures, I can honestly say those lovely words from my previous work life, “Exceeds Expectations.”

My focus, of course, was on my bow tie project, and the collection in my basket is growing.  There are enough bow tie units there for 27 rows.

Over the weekend I had to change directions and complete the 10 remaining anti-ouch pouch kits so they would be ready to turn in at Wednesday’s Guild meeting bringing my total for May to 15.  

I've also spent some time prepping fabric for a Thursday workshop and more hexagon rosettes.  No pictures there...

Tuesday, May 9, 2017

Working at Home

Normally I join my friends at our club house on Tuesdays for both sewing and fellowship.  Not today, though.  Bob and I have both been slammed by colds, our first in several years.  So, I elected to stay home and sew, rather than risk getting out in the damp gloomy weather.  Sadly, tomorrow I have commitments I must keep and am hoping my symptoms will be less problematic by the morning.

In the meantime, I added several sets of six bow tie blocks to the collection.

When I tired of stitching I started pulling scraps from my collection of crumbs to add some more diversity to the project.

Monday, May 8, 2017


I have definitely been struggling with focus issues lately and decided to try joining in the Sew30SewFUNMay2017 challenge over at Annie's.

Sew 30 minutes a day - Challenge

The goal is to sew 30 minutes every day (with one day off each week) for the month.  So far, I’ve managed to do more than 30 minutes every day with no missed days.

Here is the result so far.  This basket contains 22 bundles of 6 bow tie units.  There are six bow tie units to a row and 6 rows to a block.  I haven’t really decided on how many blocks I will make, but I’m trying to move this project forward.