Sunday, October 29, 2017

A Little Applique

Our monthly applique group met Thursday and everyone enjoyed themselves, including the hostess (that would be me).  This is the project I worked on.

When I finished appliqueing the blooms and leaves on this piece in July 2016 I thought it would be finished, but soon came to realize it needed something else.  Hubby suggested butterflies, and I had to agree, especially as I’ve always been very fond of them.

I started collecting butterfly prints and recently took my collection to the Tuesday sewing group where we auditioned the choices.  This is the first broderie perse project I’ve tackled.

It can now take its place in the queue with the other ready-to-be quilted tops.

We ended up having a light freeze early Saturday morning followed by an absolutely lovely day.  I feel like autumn is finally here.

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Those Long Term Projects

I’m at that in-between stage on my two primary projects where it’s difficult to report progress.  One quilt is under the needle on the quilter.  I have been dragging my feet on that project for a very long while, but my goal is to finish the quilting process in the next two weeks. 

My Edyta Sitar project continues to grow bit by bit. 

These are the only neutral hexies I have prepped; so, more basting is in my future....a lot more basting.

I did manage to complete 15 anti-ouch pouches and deliver them to the October guild meeting.  That pushes me over 100 in 2017, the goal I set for myself.

The weather has moderated to very pleasant temperatures and we may have our first freeze later this week.  Time to bring out the slow cooker and start making stews! 

Our bottle brush bushes which died back due to freezes last winter have recovered nicely and are blooming.

Sunday, October 8, 2017

It's Growing

My Edyta Sitar hexagon project is growing.  All the rosettes are attached and I’ve begun filling in with neutrals.  I’m running very low on prepared neutral hexies and will be cutting some more out this week. 

Soon I will have to make a decision about borders.  I know I want to add a few rows of neutral hexies to all edges, but I'm not sure where I want to go from there.

Saturday, October 7, 2017

An Emptied Project Box

My bow tie quilt is now a finished top and ready to be added to the to-be-quilted-queue.  It measures  approximately 56 ½ X 68 1/2 Inches and has 952 bow tie units that finish at 2 inches.  Fabrics came from my stash and the generosity of friends and I love its bright colors.  I also love the empty project box, something of a rarity here.

It was inspired by a quilt by Florence Edith Goggin that was published in the May 2000 issue of Quilters Newsletter magazine.   The original was pieced by hand, with no fabric repeats.  I tried to create as much fabric diversity as possible in my smaller version, but there are definitely numerous repeats.

It has lots of bright prints in it and it makes me happy to look at it.  When I had it on the ironing board, the sun shining through it reminded me of stained glass.

I have a friend in my Tuesday group who is also working on this project.  I’ll offer to let her have my cut out remnants and orphan pieces.

Acorns are good this year and we have a lot of these little critters visiting us.