Thursday, December 21, 2017

Loss of an Old Friend and Celebrations



I feel like I’ve lost an old friend.  My mother purchased this iron in 1997 and eventually it became mine.  It never had a drink of anything other than distilled water and it never leaked or sputtered.  After its most recent tumble from the ironing board, though, the electronics in the handle were visible and it was uncomfortable to grasp.  Even Bob conceded it was time to go.

I have learned that if you want to spark an animated conversation among quilters, all you have to do is utter one word: “iron.”

There are advocates of vintage dry irons found in antique shops and others who swear by the benefits of steam.  Some insist the way to go is as cheap as possible so frequent replacements are painless.  Others like the high-end ones with all the bells and whistles, like the neat one that levitates up and down and is available in a cute pink model.  I was sorely tempted by the levitating model and kept hoping to find an end of the year sale I couldn’t pass by.   Didn’t happen.



This is what I decided to get.  It is undoubtedly the priciest iron I have ever owned.  Had I known about two unanticipated expenses this month (refrigerator and vacuum), I would have gone another route.  It’s mine now, however, and I will do my best to follow the manufacturer’s recommendations.  My first time to use it was yesterday and it performed nicely.  I read lots of reviews before making my choice.  Some were extremely favorable and others said they experienced leaks three months after purchase.  One purpose of this post is to give me a record of its birth date.   

In other news, hubby and I celebrated our 40th anniversary Saturday. 



Dessert(s) were involved. 

Usually we like to mark the event with a trip to the Texas coast, but the damage left by Hurricane Harvey changed our plans.  We decided to spend an extended weekend on the San Antonio River Walk. 



Despite record rainfall one day, we had a great time and I even managed some leisurely strolls.



Julia and our youngest grandson joined us for one of the celebration meals (the one involving chocolate).  She gave me these Christmas earrings early so I could enjoy them this season.  Jewelry making is one of her many talents. 


Our other reason to celebrate this December is our oldest grandson’s successful completion of Marine boot camp!  I’m really looking forward to seeing him later this month.

7 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I had a pricey iron once and it didn't last any longer than the cheap ones so now I stick with Wal-Mart and replace every 3 or 4 years - and actually the two I have right now might be going on 5 years now. I use steam- I just like it.
Have a Merry Christmas

Frog Quilter said...

Sorry to hear of your loss lol your iron.

I personally like the vintage irons. No auto shut off and it gets really HOT!

Quilting Babcia said...

Happy belated anniversary! Good to hear you like your new iron. I bought a new one (walmart) last year and donated my old one to the quilt ministry. It's still going strong after nearly 20 years, and I still like it better than the new one.

Debbie said...

Congratulations on the anniversary....it is a milestone in this world.
My Rowneta does do a good job, with few sputters, but the weight is what is almost too much for me now. I pulled out my lighter weight iron for the average pressing of blocks.
Sounds like some family time is near. Merry Christmas to you and the family.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Happy Anniversary!

AnnieO said...

I have two irons: I buy the cheap lighter weight ones as I tend to leave my ironing board up and the iron gets knocked off sometimes. I also have a modestly more expensive, heavier iron I like to use for clothes.

Happy Anniversary! I've always imagined the San Antonio Riverwalk to be a good place to visit, especially in the cooler months.

Merry Christmas!

O'Quilts said...

I hope you enjoyed the river walk ...and your anniversary. I am glad you and your man are spending nice times together...as for an iron...I do not know what to say...because of my cats and kids, I like the cordless iron..the base is very stable..enjoy your new one.