Sunday, September 2, 2018

Quilt Retreat

Last week I was at the Compass Retreat Centre in Mt. Calm, Texas, for our guild’s fourth annual quilt retreat.  It was my first time to serve as the event’s committee chair, and I must say it was a real learning experience with an entirely different set of rewards.  I am grateful I had the support of a willing and experienced committee.  I couldn’t have done it without their help.



Because of the added responsibilities, I was only able to work on one project, but at least I did get it to flimsy state.  This is “Old Glory” from this year’s Simple Whatnots series by Kim Diehl.  I made a major goof cutting the borders and ended up having to match plaids and lengthen one side.

We had 28 participants and all seemed to enjoy themselves.  The food was wonderful and the work space had comfortable workstations with good lighting, plentiful design wall space and power outlets.  The major complaint was trying to come to a happy medium on temperature settings.  I was the holder of the key for the lock boxes on the thermostats, and kept pretty busy adjusting them up and down.


We had beginner quilters and well as experienced teachers plus a mix of traditional and art projects.  Here are a few shots.  Most photos had the quilter in them and I didn't feel free to share those.







Here are some other scenes:  



The Compass Centre is (in)famous for its chocolate chip cookies.









1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

isn't that the way it is with a bunch of women in one place - we are all either too hot or too cold! at least those of us that get too cold can dress in jeans, and bring a cardigan and socks along if we need to - kind of hard to start stripping LOL