Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Clutter is Winning!



Here is part of the reason I feel like the clutter is closing in.  This basket holds cuts that will eventually go into string quilts and pot holders as well as left over bindings.  It is only the tip of the iceberg of my growing collection of quilting remnants, UFOs, gadgets and whatnots that has become unmanageable.    My sewing room is periodically dismantled so that air mattresses can be put down for our grandsons.  When I could no longer stow all my project boxes and other paraphernalia in my “quilting closet of shame,” I knew I had to do something.

I spent part of last week trying to bring a little order to the chaos.  One of the things I want to do is get all of the non-sewing related items out of the closet, like the clothes steamer I haven’t used in 5 years.  I have a lot of work left, but it was actually fun rediscovering some of the goodies available in my stash.  The process spurred me to go through my collection of scrappy quilt patterns looking for a way to use some of the smaller remnants I can’t bring myself to discard.  I’m not ready to launch into something new yet, but it was an enjoyable diversion.

One of my goals for 2011 was to complete 12 pot holders in order to replenish my gift drawer.  Here they are, plus two knitted dish cloths. 

2 comments:

Mary Lou Casada said...

LOVE those scraps, Mary! :-) I know exactly what you mean about the clutter winning. I did a deep cleaning, and now everything is getting piled up again -- every surface with STUFF on it. I guess the answer is to sew everything up! LOL
Blessings,
Mary Lou

Sallie said...

I certainly have scraps, but every time I use some up more seem to appear. How do you get on the list for your gift drawer? Those look like some beautiful pot holders.