My mug rug swap partner has received her rug so I can show you what I made for her. It is the red one at the top. I enjoyed making it so much, I made two more using my batik scraps.
I experimented with a cheater binding on the last two that involved bringing the backing fabric to the front, much like the utility quilts that my grandmother made. My only complaint is that it was very difficult to square the blocks up using this method, and they are wonky as a result. I like them, though, and they are on their way as a surprise to two friends.
Blogger still has issues with uploading photos. I do hope they find a fix soon.