Thursday, January 3, 2013

Vintage Sewing Boxes


I have always had a love for vintage wooden objects, especially those related to sewing.  For a number of years I have been on a quest to find one of these Wheeler & Wilson boxes at a price I could afford.  When Wheeler & Wilson sewing machines were in production, these boxes were used to hold the accessories that came with the machines.  I don’t know how old this little box is.  According to some information I found online, Singer took over Wheeler & Wilson in 1905 and continued manufacturing a machine under that name until 1913.  So, it may be 99 years or older even though the listing said it dated to the 1940s.  I took a risk when I made the purchase because the pictures did not show the box’s interior.  Fortunately, the red felt lining is still intact.



The other wooden box in the picture is made from two treadle sewing machine cabinets that were hinged together so that one serves as a lid.  I found it at an antique store long before we moved from Alabama and I resumed quilting.

I am linking up with Suzanne's vintage thingies party for the first time. 

 

4 comments:

Impera Magna said...

Oh how lovely... and what a great thing to collect! Beautiful! Nope, they sure don't make things like that anymore, do they!!! Beautiful wood on the larger box...

Anonymous said...

These are simply beautiful and what a treasure to have. Thank you for sharing. ~Kelly

unDeniably Domestic

Jeanne said...

I love the sewing box and the drawers. I have a weakness for boxes of all kinds when they are made of wood.
xo, jeanne

LV said...

I do not sew or make quilts. However, I have a great love for quilts and have way too many. I still want all I see. Just hope someone appreciate them when I am gone.