Friday, February 8, 2013

Playing with Scraps

Bob and I made an unplanned trip to the ranch Thursday.  We are having issues with feral hogs, and Bob wanted to see what needs to be done.  Unfortunately, I didn’t have any sewing projects prepped except one Jane Stickle block to applique.
 
I knew that wouldn't be enough, so I quickly rounded up some of my smaller batik remnants and printed some Triangulations foundation sheets for two-inch finished half square triangles.
 
 
 
 
My Jane Stickle quilt is creating lots of small scraps that are too large to throw away and too small for anything other than a scrappy quilt.  I think I will end up with enough diversity to be able to use some of the patterns in Edyta Sitar's book, Friendship Triangles. We’ll see where this one goes. No rush, since I have no definite plans, and best of all, no added expense either.
Here are the half square triangles I've done so far. Since they are made from very small cuts I don't have many of any one pair, but I believe I should have close to 80.  A couple of the projects I like in the book call for about 500 half square triangles.



 
An added bonus was that this gave me an opportunity to play with my Singer 301A, a straight-stitch only machine, which stays at the ranch. 
 
 

5 comments:

Impera Magna said...

Feral hogs, huh? Sounds like they're messing stuff up... hope your DH can fix the problem...

I have a lot of small scraps I need something to do with... the HSTs seems like a good project for you at the ranch...

Hilachas said...

I guess feral hogs are causing problems all over Texas. We just killed 2 last week. That doesn't even start to make an impact on the huge numbers of hogs around. Enjoy your sewing. I also have a couple of sewing machines at the ranch and enjoy sewing there as well. You're moving along on your "Jane" blocks much faster than I am.

Quiltn Mama said...

What pretty colored HSTs! I once had a run-in with a feral hog. With my car. Nasty beasties! Good luck.

Quilting Babcia said...

We don't have feral hogs up here in western Oregon, but the coyotes sure do keep us on our toes. Love the little HST's. I just made a tiny doll quilt with the triangles cut off some snowball blocks and it was great fun. Love my 301A - it's black just like yours and we named it Casey Jones because it reminded me of the 1950s locomotives that I saw everyday during my childhood (the tracks were at the end of our street) - back in the days when there was actually a caboose at the end of every train and the folks inside would always wave to the kids.

Catherine said...

I am a big fan of the old straight stitch Singer`s too. I have a 15-91.