Friday, October 9, 2015

A Flimsy and Some Task Completions


Texas Tumbleweeds, a Bonnie Hunter pattern I started at a workshop in February, is a flimsy and I can add it to those waiting for their turn for quilting.  I really liked making this pattern and it did help me bust some stash.  It's from Bonnie's book More Adventures With Leaders and Enders.


In August I posted about a broken window.  Wednesday its replacement was finally installed.  It was quite the adventure as the installers broke three replacement panes before successfully setting this one.  We ended up having to brutally chop back a shrub in order to make it easier for the workers to get to the opening.  I’m not sure who was more relieved to see this task completed.  I strongly suspect the glass company lost money on this job.



Our bottle bush has started blooming again.  It likes our milder temperatures these days.

For the better part of two weeks, my mind has been consumed with making health care decisions relative to my birthday next month and the loss of my company sponsored retiree benefits.  To this point my decisions had always been straight forward no-brainers, and this turned into a time of information overload.  Fortunately, I was able to tap into some community resources to help me understand my choices and yesterday I finally closed in on my last decision.  Now I am in wait mode for confirmation from the various companies and agencies involved.  With that chore done, maybe I can resume quilting with a clear conscience and less muddled thoughts.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

Love, love love your tumbleweed! It goes on the top of the pile to finish ...fight? lol. The window looks good, and know you are relieved it is done. Understand you position with the retiree benefit lose/change. Went thru it about a year ago.....I had a great plan and had to settle for something less but close enough. that is except for the Rx plan....none of them are good in our area, and only 2 of my meds are covered now. That plan is awful, but at least we handle it month to month. Quilting will help restoreyour mind....stitch on.

Frog Quilter said...

Your tumble weed quilt is stunning. The black and whites really make the other colors pop. What.s next on your list?

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

That quilt is spectacular! I love it.

Wow, it took a while to get that window replaced - whew!

I'd never seen a bottle brush plant before - gorgeous!

Ah, Medicare? DH is eligible next month, and I become eligible in February. If I had a dollar for ever phone call and piece of junk mail that I've received trying to sell me supplemental coverage, I could skip the supplemental coverage altogether, I think. Ha! Thankfully my State of Illinois coverage will switch over to be secondary (supplemental) ... unless of course the great State of Illinois (ha!) once again decides to try to balance the budget on the backs of the retirees and tries again to unilaterally eliminate the health insurance coverage to retirees. Of course, the downside to being a State retiree is that my Social Security payment is reduced significantly ... enough so that I may not have much left after they deduct the Medicare premium. :-o

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your Bottle Bush is amazing. I've never seen anything like it. Is it related to cacti in any way?