Wednesday, January 4, 2023

New Year, New Handwork Project


A guild member recently donated a partially completed Baltimore Album Block of the Month for the silent auction at our quilt show.  Since there is no way the project could be completed by the 2023 show next month, a group I’m a part of decided to complete it for the show which will be held in two years.  This is not a project I would have chosen for myself, and I am very grateful that we have a long lead time.  Today I started prepping stems on one of the monthly units.  I was rather surprised to see that brown fabric was chosen for the stems.  The project coordinator assured me, however, that all the units had brown fabric for stems, though not all the same brown.

 


I’ve also been at work on my English Paper Piecing project which will be a good break from the applique work.  When I started running low on templates, I began joining some units together.  This will help me determine how many I need to baste in order to make a reasonably sized throw quilt.  I like how the pieces look together.

 


We had our family Christmas celebration December 28.  As usual, the Jolly Old Elf was much more generous to me than I deserved.  This was in the basket of goodies my daughter gave me and is now my favorite coffee mug.  I wonder, if instead of coal, a really naughty quilter would get empty thread spools?


 

New Year’s Eve was quiet for us, just the way we prefer.  We are definitely not party animals and, as usual, the one of our dogs had a hard time coping with the sound of fireworks.  We’re pretty sure that we also heard someone firing a pistol.

I’m not seeking out quotes for a specific word this year.  Instead, I’ve decided to focus on one simple reminder attributed to Theodore Roosevelt: “Comparison is the thief of joy.”


3 comments:

Astrid said...

The Baltimore Album block (quilt) is going to be a beauty. Looks like a lot of work. Progress on the EPP, great to see them put together. Love your coffee mug! quiet NY Eve for us too. It's crazy here with firecrackers. The kitties coped quite well, but not our old dog, poor thing.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I was pretty sure I heard gun fire too and that is really annoying and so dangerous - someone in the near by town had a bullet come through their house they were lucky and we are not party people either and the fireworks going on across the road were way too many I had went to bed and got up and looked out the door to see if there were a lot of cars there and the air was smoky and looked like fog it was so thick - that was too much we thought - I felt sorry for the people directly next to them as they have small children that would have already been to sleep.
I love your quilts you are working on and have fun with the applique and relax with it :)

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

New Year's Eve is quiet here at my house too and I have to say it was the quietest one in the neighborhood for a long time. One house about a block from me starts 4th of July celebrations at the beginning of June and picks at least one time every month for shooting off really loud fireworks. I guess he must have run out of supplies or maybe was somewhere else for New Year's Eve.