Sunday, March 12, 2023

Checking In


A friend was only able to purchase one of the Texas Tech journal covers I made for the Guild Quilt Show Boutique.  Would I make her another in order to prevent a family fight?  Well of course, and here it is.  As usual, I used the tutorial Wanda provides in her blog Exuberant Color.

 


In other stitchy news, work continues on my tumbler (or as I’ve also seen them called, thimble) quilt.  I’ve added several rows to the main body and am building up my inventory of basted units.

 


Bluebonnets are making their appearance.  It won’t be a blowout year, but they will be pretty when they reach their peak.

 


A chapter in my life ended February 28.  I received a call at 4 a.m. notifying me that my half sister had passed.  We were connected, but not close.  Twenty years separated our births and a lot of family dysfunction and geography separated us physically.  In 2002 we reconnected after a separation of more than 25 years.  I was able to visit her in person twice since then and we established a regular correspondence after that.  All our telephone conversations ended with “I love you Big Sis!” and “I love you Lil’ Sis!”  She was the last living connection to my father’s family and my only sibling.  The flowers came from Julia.



 


3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sorry about your sister - that relationship sounds like the one my husband has/had with his half siblings - glad you got to know her a little before the end.
The bluebonnets are beautiful

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I'm glad you were able to make a connection with your half-sister and have some good visits and conversations.

Astrid said...

So sorry for the loss of your half sister. Glad you were able to meet and be in touch after so many years. (((Hugs))). Love your thimble/tumbler quilt, so pretty in red and white/cream. Beautiful bluebonnets too.