Thursday, August 17, 2023

A Finish




When you work as slowly as I do; and you are drawn to projects with itty bitty pieces, as I am; reporting a finish is particularly satisfying.

My first blog post about this project was May, 2018.  It began as a take-along project during a road trip to the northwest.  I finished piecing the center in April, 2022.  After I appliqued it to the border, it waited to be quilted until this year.

Vital statistics:  63 X 48 ½ inches; 1,575 hexies measuring ¾ inch per side.

Our string of 100+ degree days continues.  The high so far today was 111 degrees and it’s not even 4 p.m.  

 


It’s been too hot to enjoy sitting on the porch this summer, so hubby and I cobbled together this DIY birdbath that we can watch from inside the house.  Cardinals and sparrows have been enjoying it and our hummingbird feeder is getting lots of action too.  Since the birds are not interested in posing, you will just have to trust me on this.


3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the hexie quilt turned out so well. They do take awhile to make but so worth it in the end. We had a brief cool down for 2.5 days and now back to high 90's for the next 10 days it looks like - I'm ready for fall I bet you are too

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It is a spectacular finish! My hand is cramping up just looking at it. I admire all of you that can still do so much handwork.
I agree, birds don't pose. If I catch one in a photo it is accidental.
We are going to be in the top of the heat dome as it spreads north. 90s predicted all next week.

Linda said...

What a gorgeous quilt! I love those colors, although you were probably sick of them by the time you finished 1575 of them (gasp). It was 110 here yesterday. My husband told me yesterday afternoon, and I said, I don't want to hear it or think about it. I hope hill country gets some relief from the "possible" tropical system. We've been told there is barely any chance at all here in north Texas. I've been trying to keep the hummer feeder changed every few days as well as keeping water in the bird baths. When I put water in our backyard bath yesterday, the wasps came flying in! I just feel so sorry for ALL the suffering critters and birdies.