Thursday, September 21, 2023

Treasures


After our guild meeting yesterday, a friend let us examine some antique quilts from her husband’s family.

 


All date back to the 1840s and were made by Quaker quilters.  At least two of them were signature quilts, and what beautiful signatures they were.

 


The workmanship is fabulous.

 


I love the way this border was pieced and quilted.

She and her husband have been in talks with a quilt museum in hopes of finding a home for them where they can provide proper care for their preservation. 

 


Today I will be attending a guild workshop led by Cynthia England, and I gave my Featherweight a little TLC in preparation.  Much as I appreciate the conveniences provided by modern maches, it is always a treat when I can take it for an outing.

 



A few days ago, I spotted a roadrunner in our back yard.  It’s pretty unusual for us to see them in the neighborhood.  I had to shoot this photo through a window, so it’s not the best focus.


2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

it is always nice seeing old quilts that are in good shape!!

Linda said...

I clicked to zoom in on that quilt and it's exquisitely sewn! Those tiny little stitches. I'm always amazed at how folks made quilts without access to the conveniences we have today. How cool is that roadrunner!