Friday, September 1, 2023

Quilt Retreat



My major accomplishment at last week's quilt retreat was finishing this log cabin top.  It has 2002 pieces and each log finishes at 1/2 inch.  I'll go into greater detail when the quilting is complete.



While at retreat, we took an outing to Heritage Quilt Barn, a part of the Homestead Heritage complex in Waco.  I found some fabric for the backing.  The dark red fabric in the center of the blocks will also be the binding fabric.

This was my first visit to Homestead Heritage.  Had time not been so short and if the weather had been cooler we could have also toured other parts of the crafts village including:   a pottery house,  blacksmith shop, cheese-making house, woodworking and fine furniture-making shop, and fiber-crafts cottage that features spinning, knitting and weaving. I have already told Bob that I would like a day trip there when weather cools.

The retreat was a much appreciated break from my routine.  Per usual, I ate too much and exercised too little.  When I got home, I immediately rolled my ankle, leaving me gimpy for a few days.  That gave me the legitimate opportunity to take a few recovery days and further delay household chores.  Now that I'm recovered, I guess I will have to reintroduce myself to the vacuum and dust cloth.

We have had no relief from our drought.  The weathermen classify it as exceptional.  At least the morning lows are now in the mid-70s rather than low 80s.  Today's high is expected to be 101.






5 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love the look of the 1/2" strips but I doubt I could make that many blocks before laying it aside.

Blackjack for Fun said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Linda said...

Congratulations on your flimsy finish! That's incredible how many pieces there are. Hope your ankle heals quickly.
We were in Waco several years ago and toured neither Magnolia nor quilt complex, but we did go through the Texas Ranger Hall of Fame - lol!

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I don't think I have ever done a log cabin with such narrow blocks - you did good hanging in there and finishing it. The Homestead heritage sounds like a place I would like to visit if I ever start to travel again - there have been so many things that keep popping up that need doing at home or other reasons not to travel.

WinStar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.