Monday, January 23, 2012

Design Wall Monday -- 01/23/2012

We made a fairly impromptu trip to the ranch for three days and two nights last week.  While there I quilted the Civil War Chronicles quilt.  It is ready for its final trim and binding.  Even draped over the frame, it is so large (108” square before quilting) I could not get a picture of the complete quilt.  This is probably as large a quilt as my machine can accommodate.  I had to trim down the backing to 115”, which is the width of my leader cloths, and remove the stylus attached to the frame so the machine carriage could travel every available inch on its tracks. 

Our temperature highs were in the 80s.  This is very mild weather for January, even in Central Texas. 



I took this photo at sunset from our front porch.  The antenna you see, or perhaps its predecessor, was erected as part of the communications network put in place when Lyndon Johnson was President and spending a lot of time at his ranch and other getaway sites in this area.  Today it is used by a television station, cell phone company and others.

Be sure and check out the other Design Wall Monday postings at  Patchwork Times.

9 comments:

Vivian said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely and I'll bet this one is a satisfying finish! How did you decide to quilt it? With all the busy blocks I'll probably opt to just stipple it.

I am still waiting my border locks kit but I think it's on its way. I am looking forward to getting this one done, I love the large size!

BTW, are you planning on doing the new "CW Journals" BOM?

Diane said...

it's beautiful Mary-just love it-have fun quilting it!

Unknown said...

Just quilted one of these for a customer - she wanted it stippled, but I would have loved to feather it. Of course, if I had my way, I'd feather almost everything! Your quilt is really very pretty and a bit different from the one I just worked on!

Bonnie said...

Lovely quilt. And, yeah! it is finished.

marcella said...

Wow! Your quilt is really lovely. Congratulations on a finish (or nearly a finish)

Sue Daurio said...

Oh that is just gorgeous. I bet you are going to have a great time quilting that masterpiece

Cathy said...

I saw the picture of your quilt and just gasped, it is SOOOO beautiful!!!! What a fabulous, lovely quilt!

Barb in Mi said...

Wow! What a beautiful huge quilt!

Gari in AL said...

What a beautiful quilt. And so many little pieces. I love the colors you chose.