Friday, March 9, 2012

Just Checking In...

I have been busy on quilting activities, but most of it has been prep work before the sewing begins.  For the past year or so, I have been taking my batting from a roll.  It’s nice to always have what I need on hand and it has fewer creases than packaged batting.  It does have a drawback, however.  Because the roll is very wide, I frequently end up with large batting remnants.  Yesterday I took a particularly big one that was taking up too much space in my sewing closet and put it to work. 

I sandwiched my Hearts Abloom wall quilt for quilting on my domestic machine. 

I also made a practice sandwich, cut up more of the remnant into blocks for my Swifter sweeper and some ¾ inch strips that will eventually be used in a bag that Debbie at Stitchin’ Therapy designed.  Here is a link about this technique:  Debbie's Strip Bag.  By the time I finished slicing and dicing, this was all that was left of the remnant.  It certainly felt good to get that done.

I have also been working on my strip sets that will be used in my Strips that Sizzle project.  Here are the greens on my design wall.  I felt like I was in the middle of a tropical rain forest while they were up. 

Here are the purple/mauve sets.  I have a few more of those left to stitch and then it’s back to the cutting board.   

Earlier this week, this is what I was seeing outside our front door.  The city is totally ripping up and repaving our street.  I do so hope this will help with a drainage issue we have.  Today, however, we are enjoying that most wonderful event for Central Texas, a nice, rainy day.  In a little while, I will be joining a friend at the theatre to see Iron Lady.

3 comments:

Aunt 'Reen said...

Your Hearts A Bloom top is really pretty! Can't wait to see how those strips turn out in your other projects. (congrats on the needed rain)

Debbie said...

Here I am reading about the hearts a bloom---which is lovely, and I am thinking "all those strips of batting should be used in a bag". And now I am grinning that was your plan!
The sizzle strip sets are coming along. Can't wait to see how it goes.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Your Hearts Abloom is so beautiful! I buy my Warm & Natural on a roll too and use every single last piece for something. I take the small pieces and zig zag them together to make pieces the size I need for small projects.
Beautiful string projects - going to check out the link too! Thanks for sharing!