My first colorwash quilt is pieced. It began with a 200-piece batik charm kit I purchased from Wanda at Exuberant Color last summer. She generously shared more charms when I visited her in September and I cut into my stash of batik remnants as well.
All in all, 233 unique fabrics were auditioned for this piece which has 196 squares.
Since my primary sewing machine is set up for free motion quilting, I used my Pfaff for this project. This project finished out at a smidgen under 29 inches square even though I used a quarter-inch foot. I will need to fine tune my quarter-inch seams before my next project using this machine.
The piece hung on my design wall several weeks and each time I passed by something got rearranged or swapped out. Both Wanda and Debbie at Stitchin' Therapy kindly shared some ideas which I tried to incorporate. (Don’t you just love the way quilters encourage each other!) After it hung an additional week without much change, I decided I was pressing my luck. Pieces might start getting knocked or blown off at any time, and that would not have made me a happy camper. So, I began stitching a couple of nights ago. I am very happy to have it to this point. Now the search begins for binding and backing fabric.