Sunday, September 1, 2013

August Jane Stickle Progress

My progress on Jane Stickle blocks for August included the three center blocks I posted about last week plus three border triangles.  This brings me to a total of 26 border triangles completed out of 52.  There are also 4 corner kites that I do not plan on addressing until I’ve decided on fabric for sashing and alternate triangles.

There is something about the border triangles that I find more challenging than the center squares.  They are slightly larger and have more angular shapes and bias edges to deal with and they require slightly larger cuts of fabric.   In order to complete the triangle on the left, I used rotary cutting, freezer paper, spray starch, heat resistant plastic templates, electric irons, basting glue, published pattern pieces, acrylic rulers, and tutorials available on the internet.  I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again…I don’t know how Jane Stickle ever managed to make the original quilt.


Today is September 1 and we have a predicted high of 100 degrees in the Texas Hill Country.  

4 comments:

Exuberant Color said...

Well you are half way there on the triangles. That must make you feel like the finish is in sight.

Actually Jane had it easy, she was designing it with whatever scraps she had. The hard part is trying to duplicate it. You are doing a great job though.

Hilachas said...

You are getting there for sure. I don't like the triangles as much as the blocks either. I don't know why I find them such a challenge but the things you mentioned might be the reason. Your blocks are lovely. I am so jealous because you're so far ahead of me. WTG!

Debbie said...

wonderful Mary! You have come so far with this project. I have loved following and seeing all your color combos and different blocks.
The triangles sound like skill tests with all the strange shapes and such. But they look fabulous.

Frog Quilter said...

Looking very nice!