Saturday, September 16, 2017

Ouch-Pouches, Hexagons, Bow Ties and a Brave Dog

Thursday was spent at a friend’s retreat center working on anti-ouch pouches which are given to patients who have had breast biopsies or surgery.  There were 11 of us working and I’m told we completed 168 pouches!  Our guild meeting is next week and I have nine more started at home that I hope to deliver.



My hexagon quilt went to retreat with me, but was never touched.  Since then I’ve been working on it in the evenings and have made a little more progress. 



And, I think I finally have enough bow tie units to complete the border blocks.  My main concern is whether I have enough variety in fabrics. 




Our lovable mutt (shown here demanding attention while I do handwork) proved her worth this week.  When I went out to investigate her non-stop barking I discovered a water moccasin snake in the yard.  Very dangerous!  Hubby dispatched it.  We’ve had numerous visits from harmless snakes as well as possums, armadillos, skunks and even a rabid raccoon in the 10 years we’ve lived here.  I guess that’s the price you pay for being on the outer edge of the community.

5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the dog we had years ago alerted up to huge copperhead snake close to the house - dogs must have a good instinct on that. Love your hexie quilt but understand taking a break - sometimes we need to from the hexies.

Frog Quilter said...

Thank God for your dog. Our cats watch over us and let know when something's not right. Your hexie quilt is looking good. Love the bow tie blocks

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Your hexie quilt looks great. I can't even imagine working with that many small hexagons.

AnnieO said...

Yay for progress! I'm sure the ouch pouches will be appreciated.
No snakes in our neighborhood, but a big black spider skittered over my arm when I disturbed some dirt and gravel in the landscape today. Omg

Debbie said...

Snakes give me the shivers....ugh...so glad you investigated and bravo for your dog! The bow ties will be great....variety, oh, you do have enough over all :)