Monday, December 10, 2018

My New Cozy Spot




Every time we have company or a gathering at our house, I’ve wished we had more seating in the family room.  I recently came across this used glider for $35 and snatched it up.  Rocking chairs have always been very appealing to me. 

As soon as I got it home, I knew the original cushions had to go.  That’s when I discovered that finding replacement cushions for gliders is not easy.  I finally found some generic ones online that fit the chair’s dimensions, but no where was I able to find arm rest cushions.  I decided to wrap the arm rests with quilting practice pieces and then covered those with quilted placemats.  A tutorial I found online showed how to turn up the hemmed edge of the placemats to form pockets.  Someday I’ll find arm rest fabric I like better, but this will do for now.  I also used a lot of wood restorer.  It brought back a pretty luster to the wood, but there are areas where the original stain is gone. 

So, my steal of a deal ended up being not such a good deal after all, but I now have a very comfy chair I can use for handwork.  The antique sewing box next to it belonged to my grandmother.  I had been using it as an end table in the guest room, but decided to bring it out where I can enjoy it.  My first project using my new work station was removing a border I didn’t like on a small project. 



…and this is something I haven’t seen in a while.  I cleared off my quilting station so I can actually use it for its intended purpose.




In the almost 13 years we have lived here, this is only the second time I have seen pelicans on the pond near our house.  They are beautiful, but would not let me get close enough to take a good picture.

2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

well even if the chair turned out to need some fixing it looks comfortable now. How do you like that sit down Handi Quilter -you can tell it doesn't take up all the room that a long arm does

Debbie said...

Even with the purchasing cushions I think the chair is a steal anyway! And how wondeful with your Grandmother's sewing cabinet. It is a beauty. I think you solved your problem of seating and needle work spot just right.