Tuesday, December 18, 2018

'Tis Definitely the Season

…for gratitude, stress, joy, melancholy, and the full range of other emotions we humans experience.



One of the joys (and gratitudes) this season was this very nice package from Donna at Brynwood Needleworks.  I have been enjoying her blog for a few years and as a Corgi mom myself, I especially appreciate her “Tuesdays with Tag” posts.  I won a recent giveaway celebrating her 3,500th blog post and received this handmade cork key ring and a personalized pen.  Thank you, Donna!  3,500 daily blog posts is quite a blogging accomplishment.

Last week, my husband had ankle replacement surgery.  Once healed, the quality of his life should vastly improve (another gratitude).  The six weeks of no weight bearing recovery, however, will certainly be a stress for both of us. 



My favorite coping mechanism during these times continues to be my hexagon project.  I can keep hubby company “watching” a lot of football working on these hexies!



Since I’m staying close to the house during these first days after hubby’s surgery, I have been trying to make progress machine quilting this hexagon quilt using an edge-to-edge feather design.  I’m about half way through, maybe. 

Three friends have unexpectedly lost their spouses this December; a reason for melancholy as well as a reminder to be grateful for the loved ones still in my life.

So, when the season starts to wear me down, I try to quiet myself for a moment, exercise an attitude of gratitude and just breathe.  I certainly hope your season is a time of gratitude and joy as well.


2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

hope your husband is recovering ok, I missed that he had surgery - it is stressful at this time of year if you do a lot for sure - we have slimmed down our Christmas year after year to the point that we do not do much more than decorate the house and eat cookies - kids get money and that is about all the gift giving we do other than donate to a charity

Debbie said...

I can read your stress in your post. Hopefully, the hand work will help you relax from the events of this month. Ankle replacement....this is the first I have heard of this one. So praying he heals well and gets back up on his feet soon. That alone puts a load on you. So sending you prayers for peaceful relief of any burden you carry. We should all be grateful for each day. Merry Christmas too.