Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Hello 2020

Happy New Year everyone.  I hope your 2020 is joyful.

Even though my blog has been silent, work continues on a number of projects, though at a very relaxed pace. 



This rag wreath will stay on my sewing room door year-round, or at least until I get tired of looking at it.  I found several tutorials for making it on Pinterest, and it was a great way to use up some of my neutral scraps.



My piles of nine-patches have grown and are being added to my design wall along the way.  I figure when I have enough blocks to finish filling the wall, I’ll play with placement and start thinking about borders.  This is a “leftovers” quilt from a couple of previous projects. 



The forever hexagon project continues as well.  I discovered an error in aligning two rows and will be doing some frog stitching…sigh.

On December 6 we had to put down our beloved corgi, Harley.  He was the best ever dog.  Just let me say that I-Hate-Cancer.   It took both my parents, several aunts and now a second dog.  The house was just too quiet with only Maddie, so we have adopted Ollie into our pack.  Here I am with Maddie (in front) and Ollie competing for lap space. 




Ollie is a rescue terrier mix that looks like he is made up of spare parts.  Like all rescues, he has issues.  Our dogs have their own beds and are not allowed to sleep in ours.  Ollie, however, not only gets on our bed when we are not looking but unmakes it and redistributes the pillows…that rascal!

My Christmas cacti are pretty much finished, but at their peak they were a delight.




For the first time, I tried my hand growing an amaryllis bulb.  It provided a nice bit of color as well.  



The last two weeks have been filled with hostess duties as relatives from Wisconsin have been visiting.  I've eaten too much and exercised too little.  Time to get back to my healthier lifestyle.




5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

happy new year Mary -- your plants look like they did great mine too are about done flowering. sorry about your dog - hope your new rescue works out well and adjust - my older daughter has a rescue and loves it but it does have issues we do not think it was treated well when it was young

Debbie said...

Glad to see you again. Glad to know you are still making lovelies. Your red and white is a beauty! So you have a new "child" to train up.....he is cute. It's a good way to have the grief and empty space in the heart. Here's wishes for a bright and full new year.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

That is a good year round wreath. You could add in temporary color pieces for Valentine's, St. Pat's, etc. if you get tired of it.

I love the red and white quilt in progress.

Happy New Year and good health to both you and your husband!

O'Quilts said...

Love the wreath and love seeing you back xo

Brynwood Needleworks said...

Happy New Year, Mary:
I'm so sorry to read of the loss of your dear Harley. I Hate Cancer, too. It took my British grandmother, my beautiful mother-in-law, my British uncle, two sisters-in-law (married to my same brother), a dear friend in Florida, and other friends. It took one of my sweetest Labradors, too. It stinks. I'm very happy to see that you've given a new critter a loving home, though. I'm sure you'll all work out the kinks and he'll be a perfect housemate.

I've enjoyed seeing your works in progress. I really love the red and white. I've chosen "Complete" as my inspirational word for 2020. I've decided that there are many UFOs taking up space in my studio closets. I need them finished.

Thanks for stopping by my blog for a visit, and for leaving a note for me. I appreciate it so much.
Blessings to you and yours in the new year. Enjoy that new studio!
xo
Donna