Saturday, July 4, 2020

New Project


I should be receiving my next block of the month installment soon, so I’ve been trying to complete the first month’s assignment.  I wanted attempt a fancier project and this one will certainly provide that challenge.  It is a design by Kim Diehl called Esther’s Bloomers.

 

Here is the center block.  It was not difficult.

 

The smaller blocks that will eventually surround it will take longer.  There are 36 small leaves that need to be appliqued.

 


This is my first attempt at using Apliquick tools and a glue stick for prepping the units.  It took many false starts before I was happy with the results, but this method is much easier on my hands than molding each piece around a heat-resistant template with starch as I have done in the past.  Fortunately, You Tube videos helped me learn the technique.  I am curious to see if the glue presents a problem when doing the hand stitching.  

 

A group of us gathered in a parking lot Tuesday to drop off completed anti-ouch pouches and pick up supplies for more.  I had 33 pouches to hand in.  We wore our masks and social distanced as much as possible.  Somehow we managed to not exchange our usual hugs.  As one of our number said, we are hug hungry.

We expect to hit triple digit temperatures today.  I'm most grateful for a working air conditioner.



5 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have the appliquick but never got used to them - I will look at for the video - that is a beautiful looking pattern

Debbie said...

Beautiful pattern and center block. Your leaves look great. Hoping the glue stick is no problem to stitch thru. Heat is awful here too this week. The windows were covered in moisture this morning.

Miaismine said...

Wow! That block is beautiful! I would lose the points, but you did a great job!
Your applique leaves look wonderful! It will be beautiful when sewn down. I haven't had problems hand stitching through glue stick glue, so I'm hoping you have a great experience as well!
Nice dishcloths! Pretty colors! Congratulations on finishing that cone of yarn!

THE ONLY TRUE HACKER IN THE WORLD ® said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I would like to buy your pattern for Esther's Bloomers when you're done with it.