Thursday, October 1, 2020

Back to Regularly Scheduled Stitching...I hope

September was gone before it got here.  How can time pass so quickly when so much has been cancelled or postponed?  Now that October has arrived we are enjoying cooler temperatures.  I keep telling my friends that this is why we live in Central Texas.  Actually, I live in Central Texas because that’s where my heart is, but summers are really a bear. 

 

I finished my part of the guild group applique project, and very happily handed it off to the project coordinator.  I was flattered that they asked me to participate, but could not believe how challenged I felt.  My hand applique skills were really rusty. 

 


I was recently given the name of a new neighbor who happens to be a quilter.  I called to chat with her and learned she was about to deliver some of her excess fabric to one of the local thrift stores.  I snagged the tub which was so heavy it took two of us to load it in the back of my car. 

 


The contents were mostly quilter’s cotton that she just didn’t want any more, perfect for anti-ouch pouches which require a half yard each.  There were also a couple of unopened kits that will probably be donated to the guild’s boutique, assuming our quilt show goes on as scheduled in February 2022.  Smaller remnants can be used in our other two cancer support projects.  We make kangaroo aprons which are used to hold the drain apparatus and hoses after breast surgery.  Our newest project is cryotherapy mitts which are helpful for patients undergoing some types of chemotherapy.   As it so happened, today was the scheduled collection date for kits we completed in September.  I had 10 completed pouches and a lot of fabric to pass along, and it was wonderful to see some of my quilting friends (socially distanced and masked up, of course).

 

I’m looking forward to resuming work on the projects that had to be set aside while I worked on the group project.  Esther’s Bloomers block of the month by Kim Diehl is the one I'm most anxious to work on.  I’m in the middle to unit 2 of 6 and hope to really focus on it now.

 



We had some rain in September and I spotted a rainbow.  I have always loved seeing them.




3 comments:

Debbie said...

So glad to see your post....I was thinking about you. Guess like me, life has changed and blogging has slid back.
Your applique is still beautiful to me. Your guild had chosen you perfectly to participate. Wow, great snag on the fabric, and all those planned projects will really put it to good use.
Weather has cooled off here...nice weekend ahead. Enjoy yours.

Frog Quilter said...

Welcome back. Have missed hearing from you.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Hand applique is so pretty and I'm sure your work is better than you think. It is so time consuming though and I guess that is the main reason I have stayed away from it. The grass is so green in that rainbow photo. You must have had a decent amount of rain this summer.