Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Okay, I cratered...


Several years ago, a friend opened a quilt shop on her ranch.  She only opened it to shoppers one day a month and specialized in reproduction fabrics.  She also operated an attached retreat house.  Several years and a pandemic later, she is closing her doors to both.  Since I have two works in progress made primarily from fabric purchased at her store, I decided to stop by (fully masked and socially distanced) last weekend when she marked all her fabric down by 40%.  

 


Here is what came home with me.  Even though I took one of my tops with me, I’m uncertain if I will be able to use one of the reds as a border.  Since I’m a long way from completing my project, I have plenty of time to decide.

While we were gathered, several quilters showed off some of their projects.  I could not get any photos, but take my word for it, they were definitely quilt show worthy.  I left feeling just a little let down.  Then I happened on this 2017 quote from Barbara Black’s blog.  It was a very timely reminder: 

Make the quilts you love for the people you love and celebrate the accolades and prizes of others. Don't be discouraged at quilt shows when you see quilts you know you could never make. Just love the ones you do get to make. We are making "gifts for generations yet unborn".   Barbara Black – 10/12/17

While taking a walk last week, I spotted my first bluebonnets of 2021 just beginning to open. 

 


Live -- My 2021 Word

Just when I think I have learned the way to live, life changes. -- Hugh Prather

 


2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I agree - make quilts you love, don't stress over perfection - even those that make show worthy quilts believe their quilts are not perfect

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

I like the fabrics you purchased - my favorite colors - We have not seen any wildflowers here yet - but maybe soon.
Hugs