Friday, November 19, 2021

Time to Check In


I can't count the number of times I've started composing a blog post in my head only for it to evaporate before I get to the keyboard.  I had hoped to have a completed quilt to post, but discovered last week that the batting I had purchased was too small.  By the time the batting arrived, I was mired in other projects and unable to get the top sandwiched.


My clamshell quilt is progressing well even though the fabric I had purchased for borders, ended up being all wrong.  Fortunately, a quilty friend came to the rescue with something from her stash.  There will be more pictures when the borders are on.


Wanda at Exuberant Color recently had a pop-up store that included some paper piecing patterns. 



The original design called for four blocks, but I opted to keep it at three when I saw how much of an outlier the fourth block turned out.  It just did not blend with the others.



There was one oops in their construction, but fortunately I was able to correct it.  This piece is also waiting for borders.  It’s very frustrating to get this close on so many projects and yet be unable to bring any of them to completion.



I received some happy mail from Nanette.  I gave her the color wheel pattern I did earlier this year along with some fabric and she reciprocated with these two quilt books.  There’s lots of eye candy here to enjoy and dream about. 



Our outgoing Guild president hosted a brunch for those of us who served on the board this year.  She gifted each of us with these gorgeous amaryllis plants!  I’m glad my term of office is winding down.  It’s been a good experience but after two years I’m ready step back and let some of the new talent in our group take over.

The busyness of the season has definitely taken hold.  Starting today, our time will be entirely devoted to family events beginning with a nephew’s funeral this weekend, progressing through the Thanksgiving feast next week, and continuing through most of the following week with out-of-town company.  The sewing room will be reconfigured to accommodate air mattresses and the cutting table has been stowed.  Very little sewing will be done for a while. 

It's been a long time since I hosted a Thanksgiving feast.  I’ve been making lists, revising lists, losing lists and recreating lists.  Most of the shopping is done, and I think we’re ready.

 

Live -- My 2021 Word

The secret to living well and longer is:  eat half, walk double, laugh triple and love without measure. – Tibetan Proverb


3 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have a wonderful celebration with your family for
Thanksgiving - it sounds like you will have your hands full. pretty butterflies

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

A lot of partially made projects means many finishes in the future.

Chopin - A Passionate Quilter said...

Glad you are enjoying the books! I like the Clam Shells. I think I have a Quiltmania pattern for them - hummmm need to check that one out too. I am thinking on 2022 projects as I will be finished with all my UFOs by the end of the year.

Hugs