Sunday, June 25, 2023

It's Hot!


 Julia was with us Fathers’ Day weekend and it was a wonderful visit.  The only problem:  an AC that decided to go on the blink during…

 


My new hero is the AC guy who came out Monday and quickly had it back in working order. 

 Also on Monday evening, we experienced a rare weather phenomenon called a heat burst.  By 8:30 our outside temperature was down to the mid-90s.  Suddenly we were being pummeled by ferocious winds and the temperature jumped back up to 106 degrees.  We lost several sizable limbs, but fortunately the experience was quickly over.  I don’t know what the wind speed was, but I’m certain some of the gusts would have knocked me off my feet.  Heat bursts, I learned, usually happen in the evening or nighttime as thunder storms decay.  This week is predicted to be even hotter.  Good weather to stay in and stitch.

 


Part of my sewing time last week was spent prepping little applique circles for the group project.  They certainly aren’t perfect, but I’m calling them done.  After they are stitched down I go back and use a moist cotton swab to get rid of the excess starch. This is the last bit to do before handing it over to a kind friend who agreed to embroider the stems.  It’s been decades since I embroidered.

 


Now that log cabin blocks are off my design wall, I was able to pin it up.  It’s a long way from done, but I’m really liking it.

 


Another turtle rescue happened last week.  It’s as big as the first one, but I don’t think it was the same turtle.


3 comments:

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

Yikes, that is hot! And I was complaining about low 90s. It seems every year we hear something new in the weather news. I had never heard of a micro-burst until one hit our area. Then there was the derecho which I also had never heard of. Now a heat burst. I wonder what is next.

Linda said...

So glad you were able to get your AC repaired quickly. That is my biggest fear in the summer. I hate the heat and am longing for fall. I've heard of downbursts but had not heard of a heat burst. Your explanation makes perfect sense. It sounds like a nightmare! That is a pretty piece on your design wall.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that was too hot for sure, it is hot and humid here but not like that - glad the A/C got fixed fast.