Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Back From The Ranch

Following a Thanksgiving celebration with neighbors we headed for a four-day trip to the ranch.  Bob used the time to hunt wild hogs and succeeded in killing two which were smoked and are now in the freezer.

Meanwhile, I loaded the Lone Star Quilt shown above on Fiona and went to work.  It was made at the request of my brother-in-law, Dave, who purchased the fabric last April.  Our agreement was that I would work on it during the year with goal of having it complete by the time he's back in Texas.  Dave is a Winter Texan with roots in Wisconsin.  Weather permitting, he will pass through our area in late December on his way to the Rio Grande Valley, and I want to have it ready for him. 

It is by far the largest quilt I have put on Fiona.  It measures 98 inches square and took up the entire frame.  The quilt is now ready for trimming and binding.  I hope he will be pleased with it.

See these tomatoes?  I have tried unsuccessfully to grow tomatoes many times.  My husband thinks they are ugly plants but swears that it is entirely by accident that they frequently encounter weed killer.

When the local grocery store started selling plants in September for fall gardens, I bought one and planted it in a pot.  It grew extremely large but somehow managed to survive toppling over three times, stiff winds, light hail and outright neglect when we took trips to the ranch.  It finally succumbed to an early frost while loaded with green fruit.  Friends suggested that I wrap the tomatoes in newspaper and store them in a cool place.  I did so and we had home grown tomatoes for our salad Saturday night! 



Finally, while at the ranch we celebrated my birthday.  It was one of those "decade birthdays" we all love so much.  I was showered with cards, Facebook greetings and Bob even got me a birthday cake.  I can’t remember the last time I had a cake with my name on it. 


No comments: