Sunday, November 1, 2015

Working But Little to Show

One of several reasons I began blogging in 2010 was it seemed to be the easiest way to keep a journal of my quilting journey.  Sometimes, though, when I’m doing repetitive piecing, it’s difficult to figure out a way to log it.  That is where I’m at, and will continue to be for a good while, on my Sue Garman “Good Golly” project.  Even though paper piecing a bazillion triangle squares is monotonous, I find it very soothing and have been enjoying the process.  I know I’ll reach a point where I have to set it aside and get some variety in my life, but until then I’ll continue.  Here are some of the triangle square strips that I’ve been working on.  They will be joined into 6 inch squares.



Since I last blogged, we have enjoyed a series of rain events and recorded an accumulated 6.61 inches.  Unlike the areas to our east and south which are still dealing with floods, the rain we received mostly soaked into the ground.  It wasn’t until Friday that the ground became so saturated that we had really good run off.  All the ponds in our neighborhood, including the one closest to our house, are overflowing.  My grandmother always said that in order to have pretty bluebonnets in April we needed rain in October and this year we got it.



I continue to purge through my collection of books reminding myself all the while, that if I donate them to a thrift store where they can be put back into circulation, I am not wasting them.  Every time I get my hands on a good box, I go to work again, and I think I’m closing in on what I’m ready to get rid of.  


These two old cookbooks I’ll hold on to for just a while longer, though.  One contained a menu written out by an aunt.  And I had to smile when I read this comment by the author from a recipe for Dutch Apple Pie:  “2 quarts apples, quartered.  The apples are important:  Greenings, August and fall; Winesaps or Rome Beauties during the winter months; Green Transparents in June and July.  You have no business having this pie in the spring.”

6 comments:

Frog Quilter said...

What size are those triangles? It will be soooo pretty when finished.

Debbie said...

Beautiful little triangles! I am beginning to feel the same way with those orange peels. I need a lot to begin the design.
I wondered how you fared with all the rain....glad you did not have the flooding. We are under a watch again for flash floods......and lots of rain streaming over us. I have to do some shopping tomorrow...out of food items, so I will just get wet.
I love old cook books.....I cleared out a few of mine too. But some are too dear to let go.

AnnieO said...

Very pretty paper piecing! Two lines of paper pieced work on a section is about all I can tolerate. lol. Yay for rain! Hopefully we'll get some here this week from the cold front. Love the recipe quote:)

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

I was just getting ready to email you to see if you were doing ok after all that rain. My sister lives in Austin and reported that they had 15" there. :-o

Look at all those paper-pieced triangles! That's the perfect way to do it if you're going to have to make a lot of rows of triangles. The only way I've paper pieced triangles was to do individual ones (via Thangles). Are the foundations for that included with your pattern, or do you have a source for the foundations?

O'Quilts said...

I was wondering about you in Texas with the rain. Glad u r ok.
At the library here...there are so many books being donated that there is a sign by the return box...It says that the library is happy to get books, but please only one box a week..OMG...I never thought I would give away books..but the time is here.

Gina said...

Glad you are all safe. We are lucky as although we get alot of rain it rarely floods. I love the description of the apple pie. I will never have it in the spring again xx