Sunday, October 30, 2022

Comfort Work


I came across the phrase “comfort work” while reading a recent blog by Austin Kleon.  He defines comfort work as “the work I do when I don’t know what else to do.”

I suspect many quilters, including myself, can identify with this concept.  How many hours have I sat in hospital waiting rooms, hotel rooms and long car rides doing handwork projects for just this reason?  And when I’m at home, I have a new comfort work project to do on my machine.



I have accumulated an abundance of 1800s reproduction fabrics.  Most are small cuts.  These log cabin blocks are paper pieced and the logs finish at ½ inch.  While paper piecing is a messy process, these blocks are proving to be great therapy sewing.


 
The golfers have started gifting us with very colorful balls, but they are not the reason for this broken window.  This was the result of debris thrown up by a weed trimmer.  Fortunately, this is a double pane window and only the outer pane broke.

We have been experiencing wonderfully mild weather and even had .96 inches of rain last week!

I’ve run out of quotations about acceptance, so I’ll end this series with this one. 


Acceptance -- My 2022 Word

 Open-minded people just accept all of life’s perspectives and realities by doing their own thing in peace without judging anyone. Can’t say the same for the ones who force their beliefs on others. –Donald Pillai

 


1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

oh no sorry about the broken window. I so agree with comfort sewing - I don't make to sell - so it must be for comfort! We got rain too - it was so needed - now this week in the 70's I guess I better get that garden work done while it is nice outside.