Saturday, April 20, 2024

A Quandary


When Bonnie Hunter published her pattern Maymont, I fell in love with the picture, and bought the pattern.  I still love the picture with its riot of colorful scraps and on-point setting.  When I began work on it, my one criterion was to only choose fabrics which felt “happy.”  I also decided to use a single fabric for the sashing.  However, as I’ve completed blocks and randomly put them on the design wall, my enthusiasm has lagged. 

 


On a whim, I decided to pin one high contrast color fabric in the small squares in the sashing, adding another touch of design uniformity.  I like it better, but I’m still not happy.  I even took a magnifying glass to the pattern picture and determined that my blocks are no more random than Bonnie’s.

 


I think I will leave this up on the design wall a bit longer before deciding whether or not to move forward, and if so, how.  I’ve made 40 blocks and would hate to move it to UFO status.  On the other hand, right now I have little enthusiasm for continuing, and I’ve caught myself browsing the Web for new project ideas.  Perhaps, I simply need a break.

 


4 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

yes you might just need a break and it is ok to do that!

Linda said...

Breaks are a good thing! I think I'm on one all the time - lol.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I have a quilt top in progress waiting for inspiration too. It has had over a month in time out so maybe I can get back to it and make the final decisions.

Astrid said...

Love the scrappy look! You should continue, but if you feel for a break, do so. I took a break from a purple quilt last year, because I needed time to decide on how to quilt it. I pulled it out a few weeks ago, did the layers and started quilting it a couple of days ago. Good luck on yours!