Monday, April 8, 2024

It Got Dark


Our afternoon has been very cloudy, but fortunately there were a few, brief breaks in the clouds so we could glimpse the eclipse’s totality and see the corona.  We had totality for about 4 minutes and 20 seconds.  The viewing was a little disappointing, but much better than we feared it would be.  Perhaps because of the weather forecast, the expected crush of visitors to our area has not been as problematic as predicted.



On a whim, I dug through various drawers and gathered some of the quilting related enamel pins I have accumulated since 2007.  I decided to display them for a while on this banner in my sewing room.  I found a number of tutorials for banners by doing an internet search and this is what I came up with, again using well aged fabric from my stash.

South end of a north-bound armadillo.

This little critter has become a regular visitor to our yard after dark and is the explanation for my flower beds being so churned up.  He was not interested in posing for me and it was hard juggling a flash light and cell phone.  I am just happy he is not a skunk.  Those have been known to visit our yard too, and dogs never learn.



Bluebonnets are well past their peak, but you can still spot some fresh-looking ones.



I spotted this mail box planting on a recent neighborhood walk.  These blooms are very short-lived but sure are pretty.


2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have such trouble with armadillos too - they dig in the flower beds and all over the yard. We had a good view - I don't know what the crowds were like as we stayed home - photos on facebook from news agency's etc showed a ton of traffic leaving the area after it was done.

Linda said...

When we lived in south Texas on acreage, we had feral hogs as frequent visitors, and they really tore up our property big time. I'm so grateful to not have any critters in our yards here in north Texas. Maybe I should knock on wood? ;)
We thoroughly enjoyed the eclipse. It was off/on cloudy but the clouds moved fast and allowed us to see it all. It was unforgettable!