Monday, May 9, 2011

Design Wall Monday -- 05/09/2011

A flimsy at last…here is the top I’ve decided to call Stars Over Wisconsin.  I’ve been referring to it as my Wisconsin stars quilt project, but I think it is really a variation of an Ohio Star block, hence the name change.  The kit was purchased during a trip to Wisconsin for a family funeral.    The design is by Bits ‘N Pieces and called Chocolate Covered Cherries.  It remained in my UFO heap for more than a year before I finally pulled it out and fell in love with it again.  I found some red Moda in my stash that will work for a backing, so this project is both the completion of a UFO and a stash buster!



Here is what is on my design wall today…420 half square triangles acquired in a triangle exchange at a local quilt shop in 2010.  Unfortunately, the shop was open for less than a year.  It made me very sad to see it close.  All of the HSTs were made from a collection called Autumn Harvest.  I bought fabric for the border while she still had it on hand and I've been wanting to see what I could come up with.  



I fell in love with the quilt on the cover of this book by Edyta Sitar and that is the layout I playing with on the wall.  I will be very unhappy if I forget and turn on the ceiling fan.  There are other patterns in the book that would be easier, but this one uses the majority of the HSTs.  If I go with it, I will have a lot of seams to match and I will have to deal with some bias edges.

Judy’s site Patchwork Times  has links to lots of other design walls.  Check it out!

8 comments:

Vicki H. said...

I love this quilt and made it myself, you can do it!!!! I am not an advanced "piecer" but it was doable! Lovely fabrics.

Chris said...

I can see why you fell in love with the Stars over Wisconsin again. It is stunning. I love the color combination.

Diane said...

I have the friendship triangles book as well-haven't made a thing in it yet! The piecing of all those hst will be a little tricky...but worth the effort (probably why that's the quilt on the book cover)!
Love Stars over Wisconsin.love the colors, the stars....love it.

Debbie said...

I've been thinking about getting Edyta Sitar's book...I have lots of HSTs that need a design...love what you are working on with your HSTs.

Nina Marie said...

Do you ever wonder why UFO's sometimes need to rest a bit before we can feel the love again?! So glad you took this one out!

dorothy said...

I love that book too, go with that layout, it is beautiful!

Quilter Kathy said...

Love both of these great projects!

Sharie - Moss Bluff said...

The colors and the layout of the star quilt is gorgeous. The hst quilt looks like a "hair puller." It will be very nice when it is finished.