Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A family heirloom…..

While organizing my quilts Monday, I came across this bedspread that was hand crocheted by my great grandmother.  She made it for my mother using the popcorn stitch.  I don’t know its exact age, but I believe it had to be made in the early 1940s or even earlier, since my mother was born in 1920.  Here is a close-up of the stitching and fringe.



She also made a separate piece to go over the pillows. 



The bedspread is not large.  I believe it was made to be part of her “hope chest” and was sized to be a topper for a double bed. 

When my mother broke up her household in 1997 she gave this to our daughter, who gave it back to me when we returned to Texas in 2006.  I hope to figure out a way to use it on our queen-sized guest bed. 

3 comments:

Lee Prairie Designs said...

Beautiful and I am sure you will find a lovely way to display or drape it on your queen sized bed.

Carolyn :)

LuAnn said...

That is just beautiful. Lots of hours of crochet went into those. I would probably drape the bedspread over the bed or fold it at the end of the bed. What treasures you have there.

Debbie said...

So wonderful to have this treasure. I agree that it would be great folded at the foot of the bed for all the see and enjoy.
And yes....changing to pop up worked. I think blogger re-set some things on us and did not warn anyone.