Monday, July 11, 2011

(Not Quite On The) Design Wall Monday – 07/11/2011

Matching those pesky points on my Hour Glass quilt has really slowed me down, but the end is in sight.  So, I have begun doing some prep work for my next project.  Ever since I saw some of the quilts Wanda Hanson has posted on her blog, Exubertant Color, I have wanted to try my hand at a technique in the book, Strips That Sizzle, by Margaret Miller. 



You can go to Wanda’s site and find a side bar link that will take you to some of her Strips That Sizzle quilts.  The basic technique requires a minimum of eight fabrics from two color ways.  The fabrics must be sorted in sequence of darkest to lightest and this is proving to be a challenge.  Perhaps making a black and white copy of the strips will keep me on the right track.  This will be (yet another) quilt in purples and teals and I began cutting my teal strips on Saturday. 



I ran out of time before doing the purples, and this post is a bit of a cheat since nothing is on my design wall.

The cutting mat and excess fabric have been put away for the week.  We are enjoying a very special visitor.  A grandson does have priority! 

3 comments:

Debbie said...

Good for you on trying the new project. Take the photo and use picassa--or photo editing program-- to turn it into black and white. You will be able to see the value better then. Your arrangement looks good so far. Also make a swatch card to keep the values in sequence/ order when you begin the sewing. I have a pdf of the swatch card on my blog. Enjoy your family this week.

sosarahsew said...

That is a beautiful range of teals! I can't wait to see where you go with this project. It is a fun one I have done with Wanda.

Exuberant Color said...

Your value range looks good. You may want to find an even lighter one or two fabrics to add to it for more pizazz.