Tuesday, January 30, 2024

This and That


This log cabin quilt is currently under my needle and I would very much like to have a finish in February.  I guestimate that I’m about a fourth of the way through using a small meander.  For some reason I cannot work on it more than hour without my shoulders hurting, so I am pacing myself.



Taking my cue from Karen's post on  January 26, I started some moss rose and tomato seeds this weekend.  Nothing tastes better than garden fresh tomatoes and I have had some luck with these tiny ones in the past.  Also, I love moss rose for its colorful blooms and ability to cope with our hot summers.  It would certainly be nice to have both without the expense of shopping for them at garden centers.

 


My orchid’s blooms are coming along.

 


And, in other news, January 31 is National Hot Chocolate Day.  Now, that’s a day I can really get into.  I understand there is a difference between hot chocolate and hot cocoa, but I’m not letting that get in my way.  I played with a recipe Donna at Brynwood Needleworks published in December for cocoa.  It is much better than the store-bought variety that comes in those fiddly little envelopes.



 

 


3 comments:

Linda said...

I probably already asked you, but do you have a frame, or are you quilting in your lap? It already looks so cozy and pretty! What kind of tomatoes are you starting? I have never tried moss rose from seed, but I love it too. There is another one that looks a bit like it - portulaca or purslane - I love that one too because of the hot weather tolerance. Mom used to make a pot of hot cocoa on the stove - it was always sooooo good! I wish I had asked her for her recipe, but she would probably say a dab of this and that. :D

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

years ago like Linda I made hot cocoa on the stove from the box of Hershey's Cocoa and milk then I switched to the packets but it is something I rarely drink now. Occasionally I have made a mix but it is not something I drink often so just keeping one box of packets on hand is good for us.
My tomato seeds have not started to sprout but the baby spinach is.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

It's best to not overdo on quilting time. Repetitive motion injuries take time to heal so an hour at a time is best. Your orchid blooms are so pretty. I failed on orchid growing.