Saturday, December 25, 2010

My Favorite Cookie Recipe--Merry Christmas

On December 21 Judy at Patchwork Times asked if we had recipe boxes.  My answer is an enthusiastic “YES!”  And here it is.  When I first set up my own household in the 70s, Aunt Eula Belle gifted me with this acrylic recipe box and over the next few years she and other aunts, especially Aunt Mary for whom I was named, provided me with a collection of lovingly typed recipe cards. 

Christmas at Aunt Mary’s house always meant bountiful platters of cookies. 


The recipe for her nut crispies follows.  It is still my favorite.    I remember her serving them from the 60s forward.  I offer it as a Christmas gift to you and living memorial to someone who was very dear to me.  I hope all of you are having a safe and joyous Christmas.


Aunt Mary’s Nut Crispies

1 cup shortening (2 sticks butter)
1 egg yolk (use egg white for top of cookies)
1 cup ground nuts (not too fine)
1 cup light brown sugar
2 cups flour

Cream shortening and sugar and then add egg yolk. Add flour.  Spread as thin as possible on ungreased cookie sheets (this amount just about fills two sheets).  Beat egg white slightly and spread over top of dough.  Sprinkle ground nuts on top.  Press nuts down firmly in egg white.  Bake in 325 degree oven for about 20 minutes.  Cut in bars while still warm.  Do not take cookies up until cool.




No comments: