Saturday, March 16, 2024

National Quilting Day


March 16 is National Quilting Day and I thought it would be a good time to share a picture of the completed group project I participated in last summer.  Kits for the guild’s donation quilt blocks were distributed in June.  Some were for applique blocks and the others were foundation paper pieced.  I chose the latter because I thought it would be the quicker finish since I had just completed paper piecing my log cabin project.  Per usual, it didn’t quite work out the way I expected, but I did finish it and turn it in.  The post about that adventure appeared June 12, 2023.

 


Here is a picture of the completed quilt.  I think the block I made may be third block down on the left side.  I can’t be sure, however, because the committee handed out duplicate kits just to be sure they had all they needed by the deadline.  Those not included in the donation quilt were incorporated into smaller projects that will be offered for sale at the next guild quilt show. 

Since it’s National Quilting Day, I wanted to share the following response to the “Why do you quilt?” prompt from day 5 of Instagram’s annual IGquiltfest hosted by Amy Ellis.  The quote is taken from Elaine Poplin’s post and used with permission.

Day 5 of #igquiltfest2024 is “Why do you quilt?” So many reasons.

I quilt to silence the noise inside my head.

I quilt to silence the noise outside.

I quilt to process my feelings.

I quilt to respond to the world.

I quilt to pray.

I quilt to celebrate.

I quilt to grieve.

I quilt to remember.

I quilt to ask questions.

I quilt to answer questions.

I quilt to play.

I quilt to challenge myself.

I quilt to explore.

I quilt to amuse myself.

I quilt to find hope.

I quilt to express what I see.

I quilt so that the anger and frustration swirling inside has somewhere constructive to go.

I quilt so I don’t implode.

I quilt so I don’t explode.

I quilt to breathe.

I quilt because it’s important.

I quilt because I need to.

#messygoatsews

 


2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I quilt to relax and forget about things

Linda said...

Hah that just about covers every reason to quilt, right? :D That is a beautiful finished quilt. It must be gratifying to be a part of it.